Monday, May 10, 2010

Anita Powell Review

Here is Anita Powell's artist statement:

"My work is the visual manifestation of an authentic response to life. It is a way to detach myself form existing notions of inferiority associated with my gender through the process of owning them. This way I can use beauty, sentimentality, domesticity, cooperation, quaintness and femininity as devices to confront those who perpetuate negative or prejudicial attitudes about these traits. I can also validate and encourage the reactions of those who see beyond the surface to find a message of tenacity, power, perseverance, resourcefulness and transformation of limitations into strengths."

I look forward to discussing the differences and similarities of the artist's
presentation and reviewer's interpretation of the sculptures.

Additional images of Powell's work are available here.

No comments:

Post a Comment