Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Making Meaning

I think Howard Risatti seems complacent in his contradictions and confusion. I suppose the article is about embracing our "hand" in clay and how that transcends the space-time continuum but he starts with the comparison of Craft vs. Fine Art. This is not news and he states, "Whether justified or not, craft simply has not achieved a status equal to that of fine art in these regards." This leads me to believe that he wants to decipher a way a elevate our clay objects to the level of those who make important and influential works of art. I agree with him up to this point.
Then he goes into a continual rant about embracing our crafty ways as we are crafty crafters and should sew badges on t-shirts that say it loud and proud. This is exactly why we are not compared on the same level as the other artist working in different materials that just make art and process is not the central interest. I get it that we mimic nature and a jar with a heavy lid is still a jar centuries later, but come on, that's not some overly insightful comment or piece of art. If anything, we are just making what we already know and see, not innovating or commenting on our contemporary day-to-day.
This is what I don't like about the clay world.
Making Meaning is a inept title for this piece as well, it should be titled: What I Already Know.

p.s. I don't like wood-fired work either.

2 comments:

  1. you could be flogged. be careful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to comment on the last page about the "serious challenges in today's modern post-modern world.":
    When it comes to fine arts' "throw-away images, quickly consumed and just as quickly discarded.", I say easy come, easy go. They have it coming. And then there was a comment about the lack of origin in the hand in industrial craft. That, in my opinion, is because people do not place ENOUGH valuein the hand. Americans especially value performance, economy, and results. Handmade is an unnecessary luxury.

    ReplyDelete